PregnancyBEFORE, DURING AND AFTER PREGNANCY
Before PregnancyThis is an exciting time in a woman's life, and planning for your pregnancy is the key to health and wellbeing in all three trimesters, labour and birth, and the post pregnancy experience.
As you will be aware, your body is about to undergo many changes. Seeing an osteopath before conceiving will highlight any predisposed and/or underlying issues that may become more apparent during your pregnancy. We can help you with a simple process of treatment and exercise, as well as ongoing support, to make your pregnancy as comfortable as possible.
During PregnancyApproximately 80% of women will experience some degree of lower back pain during pregnancy. This happens because of a number of reasons:
Firstly because of the rapid weight gain mainly at the front of the body your centre of gravity shifts out from your body. Inevitably this can lead to compensating mechanisms in the lower back leading to a “sway back” posture.
Secondly in the latter stages of pregnancy, hormones are secreted that work on loosening the pelvic region in preparation for childbirth.
This can have a destabilizing effect on the lower back. Again there are simple steps that you can take to prevent back pain as much as possible.
- Wear flat shoes that support your feet and ankles. A shoe with a higher heel will throw your body weight even further forward that it already is.
- Ideally, avoid lifting altogether. But if you already have a toddler at home, it can’t be avoided. Now more than ever, use your knees and legs rather than bending from the lower back. Make sure whatever you are lifting is squarely in front of you rather than to one side.
- Sleep on your side and place a pillow between your knees to keep your pelvis in alignment.
Post PregnancyNow that you’ve given birth, a new set of challenges can present themselves. The weight that you were supporting in your belly has now shifted up into your arms, as you hold, carry and feed your baby. Add to this the fact that you’re constantly picking up and putting the child down, frequently bending forward to put your little one in the bath or cot. This repetitive activity places enormous leverage on your lower back and creates chronic tension in the upper back, neck and shoulders.
We can support you through these changes in your body and your day to day activities with the following:
- Postural assessment
- Expert diagnosis and treatment
- Tailored exercise program
- Ergonomic advice
- Rocktape Kinesiology Taping
- Products for further support and prevention